So this week was my Birthday and luckily I avoided the Brazilian tradition of people breaking eggs over your head on your birthday. Instead I got 3 birthday cakes and a candy bar.
This week was pretty great. We had plans to make visits with a member of the ward everyday this week. Something incredible happened. Every single one of the people had an excuse not to go. Wow. We still managed to find people willing to teach with us for a little bit. I´ve decided that I have better luck with the memebers if I just show up at their house and ask them to go. I think that they don´t have enough time to think up an excuse. Lol! Last night I went to the house of a member that is always helping us. I went in and was sitting on her couch and she came down the stairs and more or less collapsed on the couch and said, "Oh Sisters, not today, I don´t think I can..." I said that I didn´t know what she was talking about. She said, "I don´t want to visit people today." I told her that this visit was just a visit to show that we love her and we came in peace. Lol! She sad up and looked at us and came over and fealt our foreheads. Lol! It was pretty funny. I think that we have over-used her if she was that shocked that the missionaries would just pass by her house to say hello.
I´m living with a family that has a little girl with hair exactly like mine when I was little. And really lets not pretend, my hair is going back to out-of-control-two-year-old hair. But the family was watching a Bible movie about Joseph in Egypt. He had two sons, Ephraim and Manases. They were watching this film when the husband said to the wife, "Luana, do you see their hair?" She started to laugh. He said, "It´s exactly like Leelee´s!" Then Luana said, "And Sister McCollaum´s too" That´s the down-side of living with members...they see me in the early morning hours before I´ve tamed my hair to something close to normal.
I don´t know why yet but these last three days my portuguese has been getting worse. Or dissapearing is more appropriate I think. I have had times when I have not understood in the least bit what people are saying. Lol! Hope this is just a small thing that will go away real quick.
This last week we ate at a members house that lives in the middle of nowhere. I love her house! They said that they see monkeys there occasionally and they had a tree out back that had Tucans living in it! They weren´t there when I was there but I´m thinking of going there on a pday to do some hiking and find all sorts of creatures of Brazil! So we were walking back to where we could take the bus. We were on this dirt road of nothingness when I looked up and saw two monks walking toward us. I thought to myself, "Two monks and two sister missionaries, oh, this is good and I have a camera." We stopped them and took pictures and talked for a while about the differences in what we were doing. They have a monestary close by and I´m also thinking that for another pday I will go there to look around. Lol! I don´t know if they will let me in or not yet but I´m willing to try. They seemed friendly enough.
I just need to find this place first...
Well, I can´t think of anything else new or exciting. I love you all lots and lots and I hope that your week is great! Love you!
Love,
Shelle
No comments:
Post a Comment