Friday, February 18, 2011

I made it!
So after many goodbyes and prayers, much drama, tears, stress, blood, worrying, sleepless nights, fears, running, pleading, searching, borrowing, and confusion I made it to America! And boy was I happy to be here! Nothing like going from 90 degree weather to below 0 with snow on the ground in Dallas, Texas. What was the first thing I saw when I was walking out of the landing dock was a mist up in the front. As I got closer I realized that one of the fire sprinklers was broken and spraying freezing cold water above the exit door. My thought were "No thank you, I was quite happy in Brasil," but I built up the courage to run through the water to get to the other side in freezing cold Texas. Nothing like a big "Welcome to America! We're happy you're here!"
I woke up bright and early on my second to last day in Brasil. I had to go to the office for my last interview with President Jackson and then I would be spending the night with him and his family. I was waiting for my car ride outside the condominium. I waited about an hour before I decided maybe they wouldn't be coming and I would have to pack my bags on my back and get a bus. This is me in my attempt. I have a lost expression on my face because I had never felt so lost and kicked out of a country like I had at the end of my mission. That is a sad and depressing feeling. But none-the-less I was gonna make my best effort to be on time for my last interview:)
Good luck in the streets of Sao Paulo. Do you think I would have made it alone? My ride eventually showed up, thank heavens. The roads are nothing compared to the people on the bus. They treat you like scum of the earth with just the back-pack. Imagine two more pieces of large luggage. Ixi!
My last day in Brasil I talked with my presidents wife and she asked me what we would be doing. I told her that we were lost missionaries and we only new how to proselyte. She took pity on us and talked with President Jackson and they sent us off to the City Center to see Sao Paulo. This is a view from the top of the Banespa building which is the Bank of Sao Paulo. I felt like I was on top of the world! (At least the city) This is just one of the sides. These buildings are in all directions. Sao Paulo is the biggest city in South America.

Finally the last night. President and his family said goodbye and sent us off in the van. Little did I know he was sending us off without my luggage! We got to the airport and I realized this so the guy had to run back and get mine. Sister Robins went on through leaving me to wait and hope that my luggage would get there on time to get it checked through and me passed through security to get on my flight that would leave any minute. When my luggage got there I was blessed that I could run through all of the luggage problems, have just a little run in with security and make it to the boarding gate in time to walk onto the airplane.
So to America I made it. When I made it there I found out that my flight to SLC was cancelled. One more time of saying goodbye to Sister Robins who went on through to OC, Cal. I was told I would get a flight that would be leaving tomorrow and I talked to a woman that got me 2 flights that would get me there that day. I flew in to Denver but I got there 1 hour late and so my next flight was already gone. They again scheduled me to fly out the next day. Talked to them again and they got me a flight out in one hour. All throughout this time I was having to borrow cellphones of complete strangers with Texas accents to update my family on what time I would actually be getting to SLC. In the end after many polite lenders of cellphones I made it to SLC. Ran through all of the processes there and when I saw my family I couldn't help it. I ran in high-hills and all to give them all a big hug!
The trials were over? I think not... Where was my luggage? Brasil? Texas? Denver? SLC? Well, I'm pretty sure it was not in SLC as I was there and they were not. But after what I had passed I wasn't worried. Just gave them my address and left. It turned out that in Dallas they re-routed them but put two stamps on one suitcase and so one got to where it was going and the other one disappeared. But with and accurate description that I gave them they located them both and got them sent safely home.
Now I am safe and happy at home and trying to keep myself busy. I'm looking for work and preparing for school If anyone knows of a great job that I could do please let me know. I'm in need! Love you all and thanks so much for the support you've always given me. Tchau!

3 comments:

  1. What a pleasant surprise to see another blog post. I've been reading them all along, but thought that now that your mission is over we'd stop hearing from you . . . . . keep blogging!!!

    And thanks for serving the Lord on your mission. It's been awesome sharing in a little part of it by reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to miss all those mission blogs. You sound like you were a great missionary doing the Lord's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much! I will try with the blog posts... Lol! My life is a lot less interesting now but I will give it a shot. Thanks for your support and prayers all along!

    ReplyDelete