Hola Hola everyone!
I went to the zoo today with my district. I didnt remember until we were walking toward the entrance that I had only brought £20 with me. Phew! Only £1 which is equivalent to almost 50¢. Lol! Thatś about how good it was too. Lots of birds and the animals looked really ill. and most of the cages were empty but we had a good time.
Burr! Im still cold here! Its dificult for me to want to shower in the morning cause the water doesnt heat up so well. But I used to take cold cold cold showerrs. Absolutely no heat. At all. I hated life. My companion always took like 25 minute showers so I figured she was used to this and that I was being a pansy. Then one day I decided I would shower before my companion. The water was warm!!!! My companion had been using all of the warm waater for her shower and then getting out when it got cold...hmmm... So now I always shower first and she gets the left-over. Lol! So her shower time has cut down cause the water goes cold sooner and I get me warm shower!
The language is coming good. I love listening to my companion talk with people cause it gives me good practice to be able to pick up the accent and the pronunciation of everything. I catch alot of words sometimes enough to know what they are talking about but usually it just makes my head hurt. Most days I go to bed mentally exhausted cause I have to strain to understand anything. Usually when I listen to people i catch phrases like, "Oh, she doesnt understand huh?" Then Ill reply to that so it keeps them from talking about me I think... One day after lunch they were talking and I kept hearing "osmosis." All I could think of was that I hope that I can learn this language through osmosis. Later that night it hit me that the had been talking about the young women in the ward! "As Maças." I fealt like an idiot. Not the first time and not the last.
The tally for jumping spiders that I have killed is up to 4 which isnt to many but is more than I want. Ive killed more than that but not all of them have jumped at me when I go to put my foot on them. That was a shock the first time that happened.
I had to talk in church this week. Just introduce myself and give my testimony. It would have been alright except as I was looking around the audience I saw my compaions face and it looked pained like I was butchering her beloved language. I sat down pretty quick after that. Lol! But everyone said that I did good. I think they just like hearing a "gringo" talk with a funny accent. If there is a choice for who is giving the prayer I am always it. They think its funny to hear me struggle. But I get them back by teaching the English and especially the word "world." Most of them cant say that for the life of them. But there is one guy that served his mission in California that knows what Im going through with this language barrier and he sympathizes with me.
I saw my old companions yesterday at a meeting and it was great to laugh and swap stories about how humbling this expirience is. Sometimes I feel like I cant communicate in English either. Lol! We get soo mixed up in what were saying that most of the time at least one person is confused.
I love this work even though Ive contemplated "tripping" in front of a bus to get out of it but no worries Mom, I promise you I wont. Im learning so much and Im very appreciative of the fact that I grew up where I did. Were watching General Conference this weekend and a kid mimicked the voice of the translator for the sessions and it hit me that when they hear the words of the prophet that is who they hear. It really is a privelegde for us to be able to hear what President Monsen says and to know his voice instead of the translators voice. Dont take it for granted. I love you all lots and I hope you are all well! I pray for you daily!
Lots of love!
Shelle
No comments:
Post a Comment